Hello friend! With one month of 2018 already done, I have been thinking a lot about goals, both personal and blog-related. After my 2017 blog recap, I also want to stay mindful of these goals and hold myself accountable for reaching them. Furthermore, I have been encouraged by seeing posts from Elizabeth of Lizzie in Lace, and Jessica of Not Jess Fashion, to stay true to myself and my mission.
Therefore, I am starting this new series, “Mindful Month” where I set goals for the month ahead and review the goals of the prior month. Since I am just starting this series today, I do not have last month’s goals to review. But let’s jump into my February goals.
As you know, I have a real job as a medical professional. I truly love what I do there. This month I want to take a major (game-changer) policy to one of the hospital committees and get it passed! I’ve been working on this policy for months now. Because it is the first of its kind for our hospital, it may ruffle some feathers…wish me luck!
February is my daughter’s birthday. I want her to be happy and feel loved. We have a ton of things planned. I hope the days planned are full of fun!
Probably few of you know that I have recently gotten divorced. It’s been a hard and long year. Actually, it’s been many hard and long years. But, I will not focus on that. At this point I want to look forward to the rest of my life. I know I want to marry again. But to find a new partner, I’m going to have to get out there and date (gulp)! So this month I will be setting up my online profiles, downloading dating apps, etc. If you have any tips on how to get back out there at midlife, let me know!
My biggest concern about health is learning how to handle my stress and anxiety. Whenever I don’t handle that, it manifests as some physical ailment. Recently that has been acid reflux, the crazy can’t-eat-can’t-sleep-can’t-do-anything type of reflux. I notice that it is markedly worse during days of stress and anxiety. So to mitigate that, I have started exercising, namely Pilates. Unfortunately I don’t have time to go to the studio more than once a week. However, I am hoping to do some stuff at home with YouTube videos and such. Let me know if you have any favorite exercise routines I can do at home!
I am realizing that making my blog a success is going to take a lot of work. However, that success is not going to come from me burning the candle at both ends. Also, I don’t want other areas of my life to suffer because I am blogging. As you can see from above, I have goals beyond blogging. I cannot put those on hold for the blog. So, I am realizing, I need to strategize and work smarter, not harder! Here are my February plans to help me on that path:
- Post regularly on Instagram. As I have been focusing more on the blog, my time on Instagram has decreased. I have also been turned off of Instagram as of late due to many of the shady things that go on there (see ugly side of blogging posts). But I realize Instagram is the platform I started out on, and therefore that’s where my biggest audience is. I cannot, and should not, ignore them. Therefore I will find a way of making time for Instagram again.
- Automate Instagram. Part of the reason that I haven’t been posting as much on the ‘gram, is due to my life circumstances. As a single working mom, I sometimes cannot find the time to post. That’s especially true if I want to post at the peak time for my audience, 6PM PST. That is right at dinner time, which is the time I have to prioritize my daughter. So instead of sacrificing one or the other, I will choose to plan ahead and use Tailwind to schedule my Instagram posts. That way my posts are up and ready whenever my optimum posting time comes around.
- Optimize Pinterest. With so many fashion blogs and Instagram accounts out there, it’s hard to get noticed. So I thought having a good Pinterest account that showcases not only my blog photos, but also other beautiful outfit ideas, will find me new followers. So I created some gorgeous boards for Pinterest (go give them a follow!) and plan on pinning to them regularly.
- Up my photography game. While my photos are fairly good, I could learn some more about the science of photography. So I am taking a photography class at the local college this month. I hope to see some results soon!
- Get Polished Whimsy logo. In my efforts to make the blog more visually appealing and find a cohesive brand and look, I will be getting a logo. I already have an idea of what I want. I just need to find the right person to make it happen. Any tips on how to do that?
I hope you enjoyed this new series. I also hope it encourages you to set small manageable goals in your life, monthly and even daily. What goals are you setting for yourself?