Hello friend. After many years away, the bodysuit is returning to the spotlight. Now it has been a couple of decades since I last wore bodysuits. But I have recently started wearing them again. Thanks to my gateway bodysuit, the Commando sleeveless bodysuit, I am now hooked. Let me share my tips and tricks on wearing bodysuit outfits!
Bodysuit Outfits: Why the Need?
As soon as I tried a bodysuit again, I remembered why I love them so much. It’s because they are streamlined… so smooth and svelte under a skirt or jeans. It makes me wonder, why did they ever go away?
Bodysuit Outfits: Am I Aged Out?
I have been wondering, if one lived through the original trend, is one “too old” to partake in the revival? I don’t think so, but you do have to be careful which bodysuit you choose and how you wear it! While there are ultra sexy bodysuits, with plunging necklines and such, those are the ones that I will not purchase. That’s because it would not be appropriate for my roles in life (neither work or mom-life!). But I can still participate in the trend. I’ll just take a more polished approach.Click here to start a twitter discussion on whether bodysuits are 'appropriate' for middle age womenClick To Tweet
Bodysuit Outfits: For the Office
I have already discussed in my lecture outfit post, that a bodysuit is an ideal “top” to wear when you want it to stay in place. The mock turtleneck bodysuit was the perfect top to wear for that occasion. It looked professional and neat, and I didn’t have to fuss with it to stay in place.
See more photos and outfit details in original post
Bodysuits also work well underneath skirts that have a lot of volume around the waist, such as in my paper-bag waist skirt post.
Bodysuit Outfits: For a Night Out
For evening out looks, there are still options that are not the overly-revealing styles. I am eyeing this faux leather one and this velvet one. Another alternative would be this off the shoulder bodysuit, which would look great with a pair of wide-legged trousers or jeans. Lastly, if you really want to go the extreme, you can try one of the sheer bodysuits under a blazer. I have recently purchased a sheer one too. As soon as I have worn it a few times, I will write a separate post on styling it.
Bodysuit Outfits: Fun Day Look
The second bodysuit I purchased was the commando ballet body short sleeve bodysuit. This one is a scoop neck, which I thought would be a good staple. I have found it wears particularly well with a full skirt, like this tulle camouflage one.
I admit I got the idea to style the bodysuit with this skirt based on the bodysuit’s name. “Ballet” reminds me of tulle, so I brought the two together, and voila!
I am very pleased with both of my bodysuit purchases. So much that I am considering getting the long-sleeved one as well as the velvet or leather one discussed above.
Bodysuit Outfits: Tips
- Check the back of the bodysuit. Some are thong and some are a bikini style. Choose the one that is comfortable for you!
- Apply deodorant AFTER getting the bodysuit on. Because you have to pull a bodysuit on over your head and down on your body, any previously applied deodorant will get all over your pretty bodysuit. So avoid that by saving the deodorant for last!
- OK, so you didn’t listen to my tip above. I will forgive you…just this once. But don’t worry, I can help you remove that pesky deodorant stain with this amazing invention.
- Don’t drink too much water! J/K! Stay hydrated girl, but do keep in mind that bathroom breaks may take a minute longer to snap the bodysuit back in place!
- Wear a lifting bra. Bodysuits tend to pull down…need I say more? We want the girls standing tall, so wear a bra to help them out!
- Check the rise of your bottoms. There is nothing worse than the bodysuit bottom showing above the waist line of your pants or skirt! If this is happening, maybe check the size of the bodysuit too? That’s another reason why I love the commando bodysuits so much: they are thong style but cut very low on the hips, so they don’t ride up!
Are you on the bodysuit bandwagon or are you sitting this one out? Let me know if you’re wearing them, how you’re styling your bodysuit outfits!